Installing & Setting SSAS 2012
The instructions on how to install the Multi Dimensional version of SSAS 2012.
- Before proceeding, make sure that the Hardware and Software requirements for Installing SQL 2012 are met with req.
- If the pre-requisites are met, insert the SQL Server installation media and click on the SETUP.EXE file in the folder. You can download an evaluation version from go here link if needed.
- Click on Installation in the left hand navigation pane and then select the New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- The system configuration checker runs a discovery operation and will try to identify problems that might occur during the installation. You can click on the Show Details button and see if there are any issues. If there are no issues, click on the OK button to next ->
- Now the installer will check for updates and this step can be skipped if required by clicking on the Skip Scan button. Click on the Next button to proceed to the next -> screen.
- Click on Install to start the installation of the Setup files.
- The system configuration checker will run a discovery operation to identify potential problems and the details can be viewed by clicking the Show Details button. If there are no errors, click on Next to continue. (May be if you get a warning for the Windows Firewall (most of the time) rule should follow the steps in this link after the installation)
- Select the option Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2012 in the next screen and click on the Next button.
- If you have a licensed version, then choose the Enter the product key radio button and type the product key in the textbox below. Else you can just select the Specify a free edition radio button and choose from either the evaluation or express options in the dropdown.
- In the next -> Review the License Terms and then select the I accept the License Terms checkbox. Click on Next next ->
- Select the SQL Server Feature Installation radio button and then click on next ->
- In this screen, you can select the components for installation and any order of checkboxes can be selected. For this installation, we will select the database engine, analysis services, reporting services in native mode and some of the shared features as shown in the image below. Click on the Next -> Here you have option to choose features in this installation use only SSAS.
- The system configuration checker will run a discovery operation to identify potential problems in installation rule. If there are no errors, click on Next ->
- If you don’t have previous installations of SQL server 2012, then you can select the Default Instance radio button and click on Next to continue. If you have previous installations, then you will have to select the Named Instance radio button and specify the name and instance id. For this installation, I am using the name and installation id as XXX (your instance name). Click on next ->
- Review the disk space summary for the selected features and click Next next ->
- Use the next screen to specify login accounts for the services. You can use the same login accounts for all the services though it is not recommended for security reasons. For more information, see Server Configuration – Service Accounts and Configure Windows Service Accounts and Permissions. For this installation, leave the default options for service accounts as well as the collation tab and then click on next ->
- In the Database Engine configuration screen, choose the Windows authentication mode radio button for this installation. You can also choose Mixed mode authentication but then you must provide a strong password for the built-in SQL Server system administrator account. You can get more information about this in Database Engine Configuration – Account Provisioning. After that, specify at least one system administrator for the instance. You can add the current user running the setup by clicking Add Current User. You can also click on the Add button to add the service account for SQL Server Database Engine that was given in step 16 or even other accounts. You can leave the default options for the Data Directories and FILESTREAM tabs for this installation. Click on next ->
- In the Analysis Services Configuration screen, select the Multidimensional and Data Mining mode. Then click on the Add Current User button to specify the current account as the administrator for analysis services. You can also click on the Add button to add the service account for SQL Server Analysis Services that was given in or even other accounts.You can leave the default options for the Data Directories tabs for this installation. Click on next ->
- Choose the Install and Configure radio button for Reporting Services native mode in the Reporting Services Configuration screen.Click on next ->
- Select the checkbox in the Error Reporting screen, if you want to send error reports to Microsoft. Click on next ->
- The system configuration checker runs a discovery operation to identify potential problems in the installation configuration rules. If there are no errors, click on Next to continue.
- Verify all the SQL Server 2012 features to be installed in the next screen. After that, click on the Install button to start the installation process.
- During the installation, you can monitor the progress from the installation progress page.
- After installation, the Complete page provides a link to the summary log file for the installation and other important notes. To complete the SQL Server installation process, click Close. Make sure to restart your system if you are instructed.
Now, we have completed the installation for SQL Server Analysis Services 2012 Multidimensional, you are home 🙂